Life Studies Blog (Old)

November 13, 2004

Another new team member (posted by Morioka)

I have invited another new team member, taka, to Life Studies Blog. taka studied psychology and bioethics in the US, and is now a graduate student specialized in narrative ethis, bioethics, and philosophy of relationships.

Anyway, I began to listen to Mozart again, especially his opera pieces. It makes me happy. My most favorite is Bach, but Mozart is as good as Bach actually. Great.

Photo: A cafe near my apartment (6)

* We moved to the new blog. Please visit: http://www.lifestudies.org/weblog/

8 Comments:

• This post has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Coo, at 9:12 PM, November 14, 2004

• Hi, Taka. Nice meeting you here on this blog! I hope other new team members will join us soon.

Well, Morioka, as a matter of fact, Mozart has not been my taste: I don't know why but I preferred Chopin for piano and Verdi for opera since young. Probably Mozart sounds too neat and tidy to me...that may explain I became a Jazz fan afterwards.
    (I reposted this message to mend an error.)

By Blogger Coo, at 9:29 PM, November 14, 2004

• I have changed your nickname at the sidebar to "o-kumi." Is this ok with you? And please let me know your one-line comment on yourself, which will be added to the sidebar. This weekend I was checking translation of Brain Dead Person Chapter 2. I hope it will be uploaded within this year...

By Blogger Masahiro_Morioka, at 9:41 PM, November 14, 2004

• Translating from one's native language to a foreign one is a painstaking job, isn't it? Now I'm checking translation of "Liquid Life" written by William LaFlaur, an American philosopher studing "mizuko kuyo", Buddhist rituals for aborted children. Reading about Japanese traditions in English and translating back to Japanese is another hard job, you know...(sigh)

By Blogger Coo, at 11:10 PM, November 15, 2004

• Yes, I understand what you mean. When I was staying at Weslayan University, USA, I took a class on Japanese philosophy, where students read Masao Maruyama's "Studies in the Intellectual History of Tokugawa Japan." I had once read that book in Japanese, so it was extrremely interesting to reread the book in English, and have discussion with them in a foraign language. What I learned was that if translation is good, the book lose almost nothing in its power.

By Blogger Masahiro_Morioka, at 11:47 PM, November 15, 2004

• That reminds me another episode. When I entered International Christian University in Tokyo, Japan, the first book given to read in Freshman English Program was the English version of "Siddhartha" by Hermann Hesse. I, the 18-years-old girl then, was very impressed about the situation--reading a novel on Buddhism's saint(Goutama Buddha) in English written originally by a famous German author. And also that was in a Christian university in Japan!!

By the way, where is the Weslayan University you stayed? I'm just curious. Weslayan Universities seem to be everywhere.

By Blogger Coo, at 12:45 AM, November 16, 2004

• Weslayan University I stayed is located at Middletown, Connecticut. I visited there for a year in 1991. The year of the end of the Gulf War by Bush's father.

By Blogger Masahiro_Morioka, at 1:26 AM, November 16, 2004

• How I envy you! I've never studied abroad except a summer program and a shorter ESL(English as a Second Language) course in the States. And those were more than ten years ago...

Wriging messages in English on this blog is a good practice to me!

By Blogger Coo, at 9:16 PM, November 16, 2004