« How did Japanese Netizens Respond to the World Trade Center Attack? :Comments | Main | Discussion on the morality of eating meat and humans: Comments »

Brain Death Materials: Commentary

The following are comments on "Brain death related materials" This  and other pages. Please feel free to post your comments.

___________________________________________
  • Hi Mr. Morioka,
    I'm from France, Paris, and I wanted to thank you for the advice you gave me, regarding how to ask French transplant-medicine community about brain death ethics (showing them Dr. Shewmon's studies).
    I've described the current situation in my Blog :
    Controversies and updates in French organ transplantation ethics. Here is the link :

I've just adressed these issues as you advised I should do. Let's hope the French Senate and some representatives among the French transplant-medicine community will answer ! I will let you know.
    I enjoyed reading your translation-in-progress from your Japanese book: "Painless Civilization". Please continue: I cannot speak Japanese to save my life!
    With my best personal regards
    Catherine Coste

By Catherine, at 9:31 PM, September 02, 2005

• I belive that when i become brain dead I would want to have the plug pulled,wouldn't you?

By Anonymous, at 6:06 PM, May 25, 2005

• no, because my son had tears roll as he cried, and moved his head from side to side even though his doctors said he was brain dead

By peggysue, at 10:39 AM, September 08, 2005

• I do not believe that a person should be taken off of life support when prononced brain dead....I believe that the docters should try and keep him/her alive until they know....without a dought that they are not coming back....but as of today I have never seen an instance where they waited and administraighted drugs to keep them alive. Instead they are quick to take the orgin's. I see it as ...if the first coma paitent wasn't waited on and cared for ...no one would know that a coma paitent can awake. Same with brain dead...but no one has actually waited it out completely. Waited out and done everything they could to keep the heart beating and the lungs breathing. There are drugs that keep those bodly orgins working, it is when they take those drugs away that the heart and other orgins stop. Nevertheless, the docters always give the paitents drugs to keep all orgins in the best shape....for transplant...it is when the family says 'NO"I do not want the orgins donated. Well thats when the drugs stop. So you can see the way the medical system works. You donate...you are kept alive....You dont donate....they really dont care and they let you die.

By Anonymous, at 8:15 PM, October 09, 2005

• With all the medical technology WHY cant they bring a person back from being brain dead??????

By Anonymous, at 8:17 PM, October 09, 2005

• I would want to be kept alive until they come up with something that brings me back

By Anonymous, at 8:18 PM, October 09, 2005

• Hi! The basic philosophy behind this paper is fully illustrated in my book, "Brain Dead Person" (1989). You can read the translated text here:

Please visit.

By Masahiro_Morioka, at 10:38 PM, October 10, 2005

• In a novel written around 1979, a novelist from Bangladesh, Selina Hossain, highlights the issue of the brain dead person. The title of the novel in Bangla is "Mogno Chaitanye Shish", which can be roughly translated as "A melody in the entranced mind". In the novel, published in Bengali, the family of the brain dead person is deeply traumatised by the suffering of the patient, and want the doctors to pull the plug. However, the lover of this person wants to keep the life support system on for as long as possible, probably clinging to the hope that the person can be brought back to life. The novelist obviously sympathises with the lover's view, which she portrays as the humanistic position, with its intrinsic deep respect for life, even at its dying moments. However, I was not sure as a reader, whether the family's viewpoint could not also be considered as socially natural and also deeply respectful of the necessity to minimise suffering. Aptly, the novelist ends the novel with ethical ambiguities, which raises thoughts and questions in the readers' minds.

By Irshad, at 12:27 PM, May 08, 2006